Re: re-post of double-tapped primary

Hi Jonathon,

On 27 Jun 01, at 16:41, Tesla list wrote:

> I had an idea, for easy changing of coupling. What if, say you had a
> 15-turn pri. and tapped it at 10. Why couldn't you build a 20 turn pri.,
> tap the outer turn at 5 in from the out side (actually 15) and the inner
> tap at 5 from the inside. then, when ever you wanted to change the
> coupling, you would just move both taps at the same time, and you could
> still change how many turns you have. It would look like this:
>
>     | | | | *| | | | | | | | | | | *| | | | | O
>             outer tap          inner tap       secondary
>
> Jonathon

It would work to a degree but it's as well to remember that the inner
turns have less inductance than the outer turns so you may find slow
detuning as the taps are moved in until you are at the point where an
extra turn needs to be added to get back to the original inductance.
    It would work famously with a helical primary. Same difference as
raising and lowering the secondary in increments of the same height
per turn. Nice idea.

Regards,
malcolm