Re: Racing sparks, streamer growth, coupling, etc.

In a message dated 3/6/01 12:13:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I don't think that "racing sparks" are related directly to coupling.
>  > When the coupling is increased, there is no significant change in the
>  > maximum dv/dt of the voltage waveforms, compared to what would occur
>  > close to the end of the energy transfer proccess with lower coupling.
>
>  Why wouldn't the dv/dt be higher with more coupling? (having not done the
>  calcualtions myself, I am lazy)... I would think more energy in the same
>  time would imply more voltage at the Vpeak, so the dv/dt must be higher at
>  any given time.
>
>  I don't think the dv/dt is much higher with better coupling, just that the
>  max voltage the top load can reach is higher.

Jim, Antonio, all,

Certainly if the k is tighter, more energy will get to the secondary
and top load, because the losses will be lower due mostly to lower
spark gap losses in a practical coil anyway.

Regarding big top loads, I do see increasing racing sparks with
larger toploads.

John Freau