Re: EMI and Tesla Coils, calculation of

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Jim, All!

Yet again, apologies if this is a repeat.  I promise to feed the
server less cucumber in the future . . .

>Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

<snip>

>We're probably not up to that current, but, if you figure 1000 amps,
>voltage drop of 10 kV/meter might be reasonable, or even 100
kV/meter, for
>10-100 ohms/meter.

Well, I've substituted 100 ohms per metre and Strange Things Happen.
The power input goes _down_. Not a little, two orders of magnitude . .
. still using 500kV excitation.  FWIW, the efficiency rockets, now
around 0,8% of the energy is radiated, a whopping 30W.  Input power is
now a mere 3,6E3 watts and electric fields 0,35V/m horizontal and 4V/m
vertical at 10m.  The input impedance for the previous (722k per
metre) model was Z = 1,45E5 ohms -j3,7E4 ohms; this model gives Z =
2,7E1 ohms -j3E4 ohms.

Me no understand . . . I am all the more puzzled because this of all
things should be least problematic for NEC2.  Perhaps it's saying that
with a low resistance loading, most of the power simply goes to earth
and cooks the soil/concrete.

I have a nasty feeling this is only going to be resolved by sticking a
"spark" onto the model of Skip's coil.  Small computer, big headache
;-)  More reading of manuals.

Dunckx