Re: Papers from Oberbeck and Drude shipped

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> The ideal situation would probably be to try and OCR it.. have a German
> speaker fix the obvious errors (although, reading through 50 pages of
> technical anything, in any language, is a chore), then do a machine
> translation, then go through looking for obvious gaffes.
>
> One advantage is that once it is in some form of English, there are lots of
> people who can read it and go "What the heck does this mean?", which
> provides guidance on what to go back and look at.
>
> I wouldn't want anyone to think that we'd want to try and translate all 50
> pages from scratch.  As Jochen points out, this would be a BIG BIG job
> (perhaps, penance for some particularly heinous crime?  Could we find a
> friendly judge to assign it as "community service", instead of picking up
> trash along side the roadways?  )

Since there are several members in the list interested, we could divide
the work in parts and then combine the results. I agree that OCR,
correction, automatic translation and new correction is the most
efficient
method. To work one or two pages is not a so great work.
I have an adequate setup for this and some experience with these
translations (although my German is poor, and English is not my first
language), and can start the proccess when I get the copies sent by
Marco.
I would leave the equations and pictures in the original paper, stored
as images, producing a text file with the German text and the English
translation of, say, two pages (the pages of the "Annalen" are small).
When all the text is complete, we can produce a nice PDF document, or
a web page, with everything.
I can coordinate the work. If you are in the list that will receive the
papers, or can get them from other sources, and is interested in the
project, send me (directly, not to the list) a message.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz