Re: RSG Phase Adjustment

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<stanmoore-at-mindspring-dot-com>

> What is the process for finding the "sweet" spot when adjusting a SRSG phase,
> and what role does this phase adjustment have in the overall tuning of a TC?
>
> I have modified a 1/20 HP 1725 rpm motor to run at 1800 rpm.  I have four
> rotating electrodes on a G10 disk.  What does one look for when adjusting
> phase?  Is it something that can be done without test equipment?  Other than
> say sight or sound?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stan

Hi Stan...

the method i used to find the "tuning" point of my srsg was by a visual
means. after
everything was hooked up, I applied power via a variac to see where the
first reaction from
my coil started at ( i recorded the dial setting of the variacs output). I
then moved the
motor 15 degrees and retested to see if the input voltage reading changed.
If it took more
than the previous time, I reversed the move and then went another 15
degrees and retested.

Once I had found a rotation point of the motor that allowed the lowest
voltage applied from
the variac to get the coil to form an output, I increased the voltage to
80-90% of the
variacs rating. at this point you will see if the spark formed at the gaps
will be either
leading or trailing the electrodes. ( use welders goggles or a UV
protective glass plate for
a welders helmet to view gap action) . If the SRSG is set "late", the spark
will jump to the
electrode as the disc is spinning towards the stationary gap ( and this
jump can be as long
as 1").

here are some things i have found out about my SRSG ...

if I leave the timing late, i get longer sparks..  makes for a wider spark
gap and thus a
higher peak voltage needed for spark gap to fire. but the caps take a
beating and get warm.
the electrodes also show wear faster.

if I set the timing earlier, I loose streamer length, electodes last
longer, caps stay
cooler, but this is obviously a results of lower voltage at gap lineup.

hmmmm   thinking again.......

if i add a static gap set in series to the SRSG this should in effect
increase the voltage
needed to jump the total gap width. and this should allow for a better
setting of the SRSG at
the peak voltage of the supply. ( less chance of the spark to jump to the
moving electrode
before lineup occurs)

hmmm......

Scot D