Re: All pain no gain

Original poster: "Nathan Morris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <themfam-at-home-dot-com>

All,
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Here are the specs on my coil and more
information on my attempted first light setup.

I used the JavaScript Tesla Coil Designer
For Classic Dual-Tuned Resonant Transformers
JavaTC 7.04
Copyright © 2000 by Barton B. Anderson

My primary is 23 turns of insulated #10 AWG stranded.
My secondary is #30 mag wire on a 19 x 4.5 PVC form.
My torroid has an ID of 8 inches an OD of 16 inches and a chord of 4 inches.
For the first light attempt I was running small a 7.5 kv 20 ma NST (no
variac)
My cap is two rows of four .02 uf 3kv caps.  The two rows of four are
parralled for a total tank capacitance of .01 uf.
My gap has 4 gaps that are quenched by a 120 VAC microwave blower.  Each gap
is individually adjustable.  Before energizing my primary I set the gap so
that all 4 were sharing the duty.
JavaScript Tesla Coil Designer suggests a primary tap at turn 25.  I got
shorted on my wire from the hardware store so I was using the length of my
primary.  I thought it might be close enough to get me started but to be
quite honest I believe it is the main issue with my current setup.
Oh yea, almost forgot, I was using the wall outlet for grounding my
secondary.  While mowing the yard however, I did find 2 inches of a copper
ground rod sticking up near my service entrance/breaker pannel.