Re: An couple of interesting observations and an idea.

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I've done quite a bit with making colored sparks in a Jacob's ladder. All
you need is the appropriate salts (Strontium for red, Barium for Green,
Sodium for bright yellow etc.)  They ionize readily, and are so luminous
compared to the nitrogen in air that it doesn't take much to strongly color
the spark.  In fact, the ions hang around for a while (being slow to
recombine), and dramatically reduce the breakdown voltage in the gap.

You can squirt a water solution with a fine sprayer into the sparks, or
paint the surface, or...

With a flame, you might try an alcohol lamp with the salt dissolved in the
alcohol.  methanol is popular as an alcohol because it burns very lean with
minimal sooting(colorless), unlike isopropyl, which tends to burn with a
yellow flame.  Nitromethane is popular in commercial "colored fire" mixes
because the included oxygen reduces sooting, and it also has a reasonably
high flame speed, so it doesn't blow out in the wind..

here's another idea: build a small aspirator that blows a fine stream of
aluminum powder (available from big paint supply places as pigment)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>