Re: Space winding question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 9 Mar 01, at 20:59, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "D.Wightman by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>
>
> I was wondering who could answer my question about space wound
> secondarys. Lets say that you have a 12 inch secondary form, and you
> wind it with # 18 wire,"non space wound" with 1000 turns. The H/D
> ratio turns out to be 4.5 to 1. Then lets say that you decide to wind
> another 12 inch "space wound" with 1000 turns, and the H/D ratio comes
> out to 6 to 1. Would the two coils resonate at the same frequency? In
> other words would the tank circuit see the two coils as having the
> same characteristics ? I am really stumped on this one.
>                                    Thanks
> everyone.

DISREGARD my previous answer to this. Too early in the day and I
didn't read your question properly. The frequencies will be quite
different as the coil capacitance has changed with the height. The Q
should still be higher with the spaced coil.

Sorry,
Malcolm