Re: "best" former material?

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <nieporgo-at-email.uc.edu>

>Hi Greg
>
>Is Goop a kind of acrylic or the glue use to make tape sticky ?
>
>Luc Benard

Hello Luc,
Goop does not seem to be either type of glue. It is a contact cement
similar to modeling glue. Goop, however, remains somewhat flexible
when dry. Two different brands of this glue are available in my part
of the USA: Goop and Shoe Goo. i am not sure if they are available
where you live. I also chose the Marine Goop because it is UV
resistant.

>P.S. I have 2 X ( 4.5" X 30" ) polypropylene pipe in my shop but I wait for
>a solution
>before I use it . I don't know if it could work but I plan to wind the coil
>with an hair
>dryer blowing hot air on the windings, may be the coil will contract itself
>went it cool
>down ???

I do not understand the problem. I used a section of low-density
polyethylene to form my secondary. I sanded it (for roughing) and
coated it with Minwax polyurethane. Then I wound on the wire {at room
temperature :)  } and added about 100 coats of polyurethane onto the
entire secondary. I have had no trouble with windings coming loose,
as the polyurethane seems to bond well to the LDPE. My form does have
a 4mm wall thickness, hence it is very rigid. I'm quite sure I could
stand on top of it with no problem! :)
Goop would not work well for coating a secondary. It is very viscous
and 'skins' almost immediately. I would try a few coats of
polyurethane on your form, then use epoxy to finish coat. Coating
thickness builds much easier (and faster) with epoxy. I have not
tested the epoxy-over-polyurethane method. If you like that idea,
please test it before you build your secondary.

Good luck,
Greg
--

ICQ 95403614