Re: Sync. modification to shaded- pole motors

In a message dated 3/5/01 11:14:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>    I'm saying that a rotor with 2 flats leaves more rotor area for
>  magnetic influence from the stator winding than a rotor with 4 flats.  I
>  have not checked or compared minimum lock in voltages on this motor.
>  Also I'm lazy, and I would rather grind 2 flats instead of 4 flats :)

Kevin,

Another thing that would be interesting to try is to make the flats
not quite flat, but rounded all across the flat.  Someone mentioned
they did their motor that way.  I wonder too if it's the rounding that
caused the motor to self-start, or maybe the rounding had the
effect of making the flat wider, and started the motor for that reason?

Just some things to ponder on     :)

John