Re: VTTC provisional results

In a message dated 3/19/01 9:18:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> - Did you connect the case of your scope to the rf ground or to the
>  ground of the house wireing system?

Herwig,

I use the house ground as the RF ground also.   The scope has a
plastic case, and I don't bother grounding the scope, but I used to.
I don't worry about the RF ruining anything.  It seems feeble in a
tube coil.

>  > You'll see the RF envelope on the scope.
>  - This should be a perfect method for monitoring audiomodulation
>  as well.

Yes, it works perfectly for that too.

>  > I just realized, if you want to get the typical long AC type sparks
>  I'm familiar with, you'll have to use just one of your phases, instead
>  of 3 phases.
>  - The problem was to find a suitable 1 phase HV tranny. In this
>  country the mains voltage is 230 V/50 Hz and the standard
>  breakers are 16 A. If you wanted more power, the only way
>  (besides having installed a new wall outlet) is to use the 400 V/ 3
>  phase system, which is standard in all buildings. So, when I came
>  across this 3 phase HV tranny, the way to go was obvious.

Can you just use the output across two legs of the 3 phase
transformer?  Even though, the power is less, the sparks may
be longer because of the single phase.

>  > Staccato would be hard to control with three phase power since
>  the power never goes to zero.
>  - That is correct, especially if you used a 6 pulse full wave bridge
>  rectifier.
>  Another drawback of 3 phase systems is that ballasting could be
>  difficult. Either you could use a 3 phase ballast at the primary side
>  of the transformer or a single ballast at the secondary side. But
>  this is HV....

I don't use any ballasting for a tube coil.  Are you refering to the
use of a spark gap TC?

John Freau