Re: Certain s.s. phenomena; to J.F. et al

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/18/01 11:49:37 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Hi,

> I've noticed that if a toroid on a spark gap coil is too small, or
> especially if a flat disc is used as a toroid, the sparks will
> form equally spaced around the edge of the disc.  There might
> be 6 sparks equally spaced around the disc.  I assume
> electrostatic effects cause this. I've also noticed that when
> a spark gap TC gives just two streamers, they are always
> at opposite sides of the toroid.  Again I assume an electro-
> static cause.  I seem to remember someone once mentioning
> some other possible cause though.  Maybe both streamers
> begin at the same time (close enough in time), so they're
> able to both form.

Could this simply be due to the fact that opposites attract? I would believe
that since the topload is at one polarity at any given time, that the sparks
would be the same polarity as each other (and the topload) and would
therefore repel each other. Comments?

Regards,

Josh Hunsaker
Denver, Colorado