Re: Safe handling of Capacitors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/20/01 5:43:40 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Hey,

> so basically your telling me to use a rod with an insulated grip to
> discharge it by touching the capacitor with on end and then grounding
> the other...
>
> Ok now where do i get a suitable pole?

I use 1" diameter PVC for all of my insulating 'sticks'. I just cut off a
piece about 2' long then sand it down and attach a piece of metal at the end
(the one i'm not going to be holding). I got a 10' long piece of 1" PVC at my
local Home Depot for less than $4 (don't really remember the price, but it
was cheap), so I can use it for other things, too.

Regards,

Josh Hunsaker
Denver, Colorado
ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com