Re: VTTC provisional results

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

John Freau wrote:

> Can you just use the output across two legs of the 3 phase
> transformer?

John,

The tranny has got 3 (of course!) windings, which are Wye
connected. Each winding offers 4.1 kVrms. If I used one of these
windings for half wave rectification, I would get 5.8 kVdc. Do you
mean this configuration?

>  Even though, the power is less, the sparks may be longer
because of the single phase.
- You are referring to AC operation do you? As the final goal is
audio modulation I need to stuck with DC.

>> Either you could use a 3 phase ballast at the primary side of
the transformer or a single ballast at the secondary side. But this
is HV....
> I don't use any ballasting for a tube coil.  Are you refering to the
> use of a spark gap TC?
- Ballasting is essential with disruptive TCs of course. But I would
like to have a small ballast e.g. a loading inductance between the
rectifier and the loading capacitor in order to protect the stack of
diodes from being fried in case of a flashover. Been there, done that
 :-((  Up to now I am using a 10 Ohm/10 kV current limiting
resistor, which is 10" long.

Regards,

Herwig