Re: Idea for big VTTC

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

david,
after following the link and reading up on it, i think i'll leave the
vacuum tube construction up to the professionals.
thanks for the fine info.
marc m.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Trimmell by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>

> The lead in the glass may pose a issue. Follow this link for some
> "historic" info: http://antiqueradios-dot-com/features/vacuum.shtml
>
> Regards,
>
> David Trimmell
>
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
> >
> > here's a wild idea (don't laugh to hard) break the tip off of a tv
> > picture tube, cut off the neck at the diameter needed to slide your
> > "home brew" plate-grid-??? base into. build it onto a thick ceramic
> > base, poor epoxy into the tube and put your base in place, stand upright
> > so the epoxy fills and seals around the base. then use another tv
> > picture tube to suck the air out of the vacuum in your BIG tube, wahlah
> > a home built, much time invested into, huge triode. crazy idea?
> > i know what your thinking, but it looks good in my head.
> > marc m.
> >
> > Tesla list wrote:
> > >
> > > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> > <cwillis-at-guilford.edu>
> > >
> > > Hi Drew,
> > >
> > > I would be very interested in a large-scale tube coil effort.  It's quite
> > > likely that some surprises and interesting effects are to be found in
> >10 kW
> > > CW and pulsed tube coil systems, which to my knowledge have not ever been
> > > built.  If someone has a lot of spare dough to blow...this would be a
most
> > > worthwhile project.  It's one of my goals in life to make a 100 kW
Staccato
> > > tube coil :>)
> > >
> > > About building your own tubes- I think the technical and economic demands
> > keep
> > > most of us from being able to make a good tube.  You need a plethora of
> > > refractory metals and ceramics, vacuum pumping equipment, etc.  But that
> > > shouldn't deter you from building your own tube, even if it cannot handle
> > power
> > > and has lousy performance.  I think it's a super idea that will give
> > anyone an
> > > opportunity to learn about not only tubes, but also high vacuum
> > technique, for
> > > example.  And with the bell jar and vacuum pump you suggested, I don't
> think
> > > you'd have too hard a time getting a triode that actually worked.
> (Here's an
> > > interesting tidbit I found in looking through "Demonstration
Experiments in
> > > Physics" (Sutton, 1938):  apparently you can build a "fresh air triode",
> > i. e.
> > > 1 atm.,  complete with oxide-coated filament, that allows you to make a
> > > "qualitative determination of several important characteristics of
> > > three-electrode tubes, such as dependence of plate current upon electrode
> > > separations, potentials, filament temperature"....etc.) I'm betting if
> > you make
> > > a simple triode in a medium-vacuum bell jar, even with an aluminum foil
> > plate,
> > > window-screen grid, and lightbulb filaments, you could make a small RF
> > > oscillator with it...  probably not a tesla coil though!
> > >
> > > -Carl
> > >

> > > "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> > > 03/19/2001 05:22 PM MST
> > >
> > > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > > cc:
> > > bcc:
> > > Subject: Idea for big VTTC
> > >
> > > Original poster: "Drew Murray by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> > > <drewallmighty-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> > >
> > > I was thinking about how one could build a really big VTTC or SSTC
while i
> > > was walking home from school today. the idea of building really large
> > > semiconductors or big vacume tubes came upon me. Is it possible that
if one
> > > had a vacume pump and a vacume jar, could they construct a really big
> vacume
> > > tube for operation with a really big tesla coil. It would be
interesting to
> > > see the odd sparks produced by VTTC on a larger scale. Just an idea!
Lemme