Re: 5 Turn Primary?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

I must have brainlocked:

On 21 Mar 01, at 19:05, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
> Hi Nate (and any beginners):
>
> On 21 Mar 01, at 8:11, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Nathan Morris by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <themfam-at-home-dot-com>
> >
> > Question,
> >
> > If the cap value can be changed so that the number of primary turns
> > is reduced, then my question is, how do you know when to stop?  With
> > the right cap value the primary could be limited to just a few
> > turns. There has to be some loss of efficiency as some point.  What
> > is a good rule of thumb for knowing where to plan ones primary tap?
> > I currently have over twenty turns and I am planning on cutting that
> > back to about 16 turns.  I have 40 good HV (10-30 KV ) caps on the
> > way so I am flexible with my cap configuration.  I would like to
> > reduce the physical size of my primary as much as possible without
> > jeopardizing performance.
>
> It is not the turns that count - it is the inductance. There is an
> infinite number of coils that can be wound with 16 turns, 5 turns,
> whatever, all with different inductances. There is no ideal number of
> turns. Any reduction in primary inductance is accompanied by a
> progressive loss of efficiency if the primary capacitor is kept the
> same. Doing this implies a reduction in either secondary C or L or
> both to maintain tune.

This bit:

 You can usefully boost the efficiency of your
> coil by decreasing primary inductance (Lp) and increasing primary
> capacitance (Cp) but you must also increase primary voltage (gap
> spacing - Vp) to maintain the same primary bang energy (Ep).

..... by *increasing* primary inductance and *decreasing* primary
capacitance........

Hopefully I've forestalled getting jumped on. Sorry.

Malcolm

>       Note also that reducing primary inductance (turns
if you really