Blower vs. Sucker Gap - Was RE: Aspirated Gap (fwd)

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Preliminary findings of my blower vs. shop vac gap
airflow testing:

I just hooked a fuel pump gauge up to my shop vac and
then to my blower. This is a very cheap and poorly
constructed gauge; however it is capable of measuring
vacuum and pressure. I hooked up my shop vac to the
gauge and it pulled 3.5 inches of mercury. My blower
only pushed .5 inches of mercury. This isn't too
surprising to me, as the blower is designed for lots
of cfm, not lots of pressure. However, this doesn't
tell the whole story. cfm vs. pressure is a curve. I
simply measured pressure at no cfm, or shutoff.

This would be easier to resolve if I had a shop vac
that allows a hose to be connected to either the
suction side or the blower side. I may try to borrow
one, and assume the cfm is the same whether blowing or
sucking; probably a decent initial assumption. To make
the suction side exactly equal the blower side, I
could hook up one gap to the suction hose, and hook up
a hose and identical gap to the blower side. This
would insure identical cfm on both gaps. For
comparison, I wouldn't have to swap out the gaps, only
the hoses.

This would give a definite answer as to whether MY gap
likes suction or pressure. May not give a positive
answer to all gaps.

Adam

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
> Hi Adam:
>
> So far as the shop vac working better than the leaf
> blower - was one sucking
> and the other blowing, or were both doing the same
> thing (?) and the shop
> vac just did more of it?
>
> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA
>

> From: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Aspirated Gap
>
> That sounds kind of like what I'm using on my pig
> system at up to 6 kVA. I originally used it with a
> leaf blower, but found that it works best with a
> shop
> vac. See it at:
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/tesla/gap.htm
>
> Adam