RE: Rewinding BIG transformer

Original poster: "Duke, Ronn (CCI-San Diego CCC) by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Ron.Duke-at-cox-dot-com>

Jason,

With the formulas I have, assuming your 25 sq. in. core area, I came up with
60 turns on the primary and 7900 turns on the secondary with 240v in.

N = (k x E)/ A, where  k=6.256  when  f=60 Hz., or,  k=7.507  if  f=50 Hz

(6.256 x 240v) / 25 sq. in = 60.06 Primary turns

Turns per Volt = N/E

60.06 /  240v =  .25 Turns per Volt

N=Number of primary turns
E=Primary Voltage
f=line-frequency
A=core cross-section Area
B=max.flux, in lines, Assuming 60,000 lines of flux

Secondary turns are determined with this formula:

ST = SV x 1.05 x TV

30,000v out x 1.05(losses) x .25 (turns/volt) = 7875 Secondary turns

ST= secondary Turns
SV= Secondary Voltage
TV= Turns per Volt on the primary
This is assuming an average of 5% core and wire losses.

I'm probably going to get hammered on this but I've consulted several
different sources, and they're all pretty close. Hope this helps.

Sparky