Re: liberating pigs-Part 2

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "ebyng by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><ebyng-at-netlimit-dot-com>
>
>Ok, here we go.....
>
>Don't worry that much, I'm aware (REALLY aware) of the angle of that
>learning curve...
>The pig comes into play at my neighbors prompting..
>It runs like this.
>The Guy across the street from me(Darren) is a retired Snohomish PUD
>lineman. He's currently running a twin N.S.T coil out of his yard (6"
>secondary, 15Kv by 120Ma, and he's the reason I'm here(yeah, parents love
>this man...)

They love me too :)

He and I just started looking into a "big" TC, powered by a
>small to medium pole pig.  I'm not talking about 18-25Kv here, Just the
>"little" 11-14.4 range.  With our combined stupidity rating, we should do
>ok.

10kVA is good, 5 isn't really worth it (It's not a very big jump from an NST
farm).

>I, on the other hand, have done the following as MY learning curve..
>
>1st coil: POS. Good days were when It didn't smoke....

Been there, sounds like Sparky, every run ends in SOMETHING dying.

>Got most of the info for that one out of older books.  It did introduce me
>to my neighbor(s), though...

I mentored under an established coiler who introduced me to the list.

>2nd coil:  2" by 24" secondary, 6000Kv 15Ma NST, worked ok... 5"
>sparks.....

CANDLESTICKED! :) sounds like a SS coil at those dimentions.

>3rd coil: currently under construction after blowing out the poly cap on
>the 2nd one and figuring that "if more is less, just think how much more
>more is..."

Lots more. You actually made Poly caps? I've thought about it for some time,
just for the experiance. I was lucky. By the time I finally got around to
NEEDING caps the MMC was just starting to emerge, by the time I finally GOT
caps we had a sponsor. I've been lucky, but the masochistic side of me wants
to actually roll a cap just for kicks.

>So far, 4.5" by 36" secondary with 779 turns AWG 22 mag wire, 12Kv 30Ma
>NST(can run a 6Kv 60Ma NST thats sitting around in the garage..), (2)
>1.0mu-F caps 6Kv for 0.5mu-F 12Kv, 19 turn Primary -at-1/4" thin wall refer
>pipe..

That's rather thick wire for a coil that size. You have a tendency for the
tall skinny ones don't you? Most coils work in the 4:1 to 5:1 range, with
the REALLY big ones getting shorter and fatter for some reason.

>plus a litz wire secondary on the drawing board.
>
>I had the gloves checked, and I sure would rather have them than do it
>withbare hands!

The thing is not to be doing it in the first place :)
If you don't know enough about what your doing to do it safely with bare
hands than you shouldn't be putting your hands in there at all.

>The meter tops out -at- 1262v or around there.

I WANT one of those....you didn't get that from a phone guy did you?

>Bang stick is a piece of thick wall fiberglass off of a trimming saw(used
>to cut high tree branches without a ladder) says on the handle that its
>non-conducting, but I tested it just to make sure.  Got a 1" by 4" piece
>ofcopper stock on the end of it.

Yours is a better stick than mine is :) Be happy.

My rule of thumb: Poke EVERYTHING! :)

no.......no it's too easy....I'll get flamed and Terry'll cut it for
sure....lol

>Sooo, yes, I am a complete idiot.. (but you knew that..)

Ask around, you can get odds on my sanity as well.

>no, I will not kill myself.

Prove it. Noone ever gets a ticket when they THINK a cop is around. I've
been bit only when I THOUGHT the power was off. As long as you keep a slight
mixture of fear, paranoia, and respect, you're fine. When you get habitual,
lazy, impatient, or complacent, is when you get bit.
Once you get over 100V things get freaky, once you get over 10kV they get
REALLY weird. Things don't have to touch anymore, they just have to be near
each other and it WILL jump out and bite you. THAT'S the one that will get
ya, the suprise. And LOT'S of things that you wouldn't THINK happen, do, and
often. Grounding can bring all sorts of flakey things into the picture.

Wanna REAL test of your nerves? Run a demo with a 6" dia coil in the middle
of a Cyber Cafe, I was terrified for 3 hours straight! Because if we damaged
any of their computers, the Group was liable! There were over 25 computers
within 20' of the coil!

>The pig coil is just on the drawing board at this point(looking into
>sources..)
>Believe it or not, I have NOT gotten flamed yet (on or off the list)!!
>thank god.  (volunteers??)

Wow...maybe I'll have to flame you just for spite ;)

>p.s.
>Chris, you need a box O' old comp parts?  HD's, SCSI cable, etc??

You have to ask? Ship it to the Little St Labs.

BUY A T-SHIRT! ALL OF YOU! :)

Have fun!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek