Re: Blower vs. Sucker Gap - Was RE: Aspirated Gap (fwd)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/26/01 10:14:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> Preliminary findings of my blower vs. shop vac gap
> airflow testing:
>
> I just hooked a fuel pump gauge up to my shop vac and
> then to my blower. This is a very cheap and poorly
> constructed gauge; however it is capable of measuring
> vacuum and pressure. I hooked up my shop vac to the
> gauge and it pulled 3.5 inches of mercury. My blower
> only pushed .5 inches of mercury. This isn't too
> surprising to me, as the blower is designed for lots
> of cfm, not lots of pressure. However, this doesn't
> tell the whole story. cfm vs. pressure is a curve. I
> simply measured pressure at no cfm, or shutoff.
>
> This would be easier to resolve if I had a shop vac
> that allows a hose to be connected to either the
> suction side or the blower side. I may try to borrow
> one, and assume the cfm is the same whether blowing or
> sucking; probably a decent initial assumption. To make
> the suction side exactly equal the blower side, I
> could hook up one gap to the suction hose, and hook up
> a hose and identical gap to the blower side. This
> would insure identical cfm on both gaps. For
> comparison, I wouldn't have to swap out the gaps, only
> the hoses.

Snip - - -
Hi All,
Alternative #1
Here's a poor man's air flow meter from way back when. (It worked at P.S.134
in 1957)
1. Get a surplus round weather balloon (10-16ft rated diameter)
2. Attach it to exhaust side of vac/blower
3. Inflate for 15, 30, 60 sec. etc., in seperate runs.
4. measure diameter at end of each run.
5. As long as diam < 80% rated diameter, P(interior) ~ P(atmos) and it should
not load the blower significantly.
6.Check with manometer gauge.
7. Using V=4/3 x pi x (D/2)^3 and V(1at)=P(int)V(int)/P(1at)
8. Plot V vs P and extrapolate back to P(1at) (this corrects for any

Alternative #2:

1. Scrounge a small orifice-type meter (not bellows type) from local gas
company or liberate from mech. eng. lab. .
2. Also scrounge a copy of AGA-3 manual from same place.
3. Measure inlet P and differential across orifice. Can be used on suct. or
dischg.
4. Flow rate ~k x P1 x sqrt(deltaP). Value of "k" is from tables in manual.

Sparks without flames,
Matt D.