Re: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/28/01 8:44:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> >

> > Tesla Coilers may be making the worst of TC blunders when doing
> > calculations for determining the operating resonant frequency of their
> > coils. It is a well known fact that the calculated frequencies do not
> > agree with the actual operating test frequencies. Many important
> > design decisions are based on this unique frequency so it is important
> > that it be correct. To circumvent this problem a fudge factor is used
> > for all TC computer programs but this is only a bandaid for TC design.
> >
> > The equation that coilers use for finding the TC resonant frequency is
> >
> >       F = 1/(6.283 x sqrt(LC)
> >
> > The TC secondary circuit is an RCL circuit but the "R" is omitted by
> > coilers in the above equation which may be the worst of TC blunders.
> > In the Tesla Coil Construction Guide page 5-1 the complete resonant
> > frequency equation is shown including the "R" parameter. It is also
> > mentioned that the "R" reduces the resonant frequency and if the "R"
> > is large enough there will be no resonant frequency. In other words
> > the "R" could be the reason the operating frequency does not agree
> > with the calculated frequency when the "R" is omitted.
> >
> > To my knowledge no one has ever determined how to find this very
> > important "R" for an operating Tesla coil either by calculation or by
> > tests. TC programs are hurting because of this lack of information.If
> > anyone has any comments I would be interested in them.
> >
> > John Couture

Hi John & All,
        I'm not sure that a known simplification is necessarily a "blunder".
The full original formula is:
f=1/2pi x sqrt(1/(LC - (R/2L)^2))
taking the derivative of f w/resp to R gives us:
df/dR=R/(f*(4*pi*L)^2)
For a coil ~4"  -at-270 KHz, R would have to be>500 ohms to change the frequency
even 1%. Since DC resistance is on the order of 20 ohms, the AC resistance
would have to be 25 times higher to be responsible for even a 1% change. IMO,
this is not the culprit.

Matt D.