Re: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Richie, All.  Thank you for your post on the new fangled arc breakers.
 Ironically, your post is the only one on the list and you are located a
continent away!  I suspect most list members have no idea of what the
N.F.P.A. and N.E.C. codes are in this country.  As usual, I see that you
folks in England are quite far ahead of the times, even if your country
has not yet adopted the stringent new Arc Fault Breakers. This is why I
brought the subject up, since it has already proven its worth in my own
house.  Upon hooking up these new breakers, I had one that would not stay
energized.  We then substituted several other A.F.C.I. breakers to no
avail.  Only then did we realize that the new breaker was actually
sensing a fault.  We had a new 12/2wg cable run to the problematic
circuit and it cured the problem.  Obviously the old rubber and cloth
wiring had some sort of fault across ground and neutral(metal outer
casing perhaps) that an ordinary breaker would not sense. Makes one
wonder about the use of Tesla coils(ozone) in an older home with rubber
based circa 1900 to 1950 type cable.  I still wonder if my very long
Tesla runs may have contributed to the problem with this wiring. Again, I
thank you Richie for your fine observation!    Al.