RE: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Dunckx -

Thank you for the info on your web site. I agree the log decrement, Q factor
and the R are all equated by the equations you show, however, I believe this
R is a different R then the one I am referring to. For example:

   Your    R = 6.283 F L/Q

   My      R = 2L x sqrt( 1/LC - (6.283 F^2))

In the data I have collected tests indicate that the TC secondary coil has
two resonant frequencies depending on how you do the test. A low voltage,
low current test or a high voltage, high current operating test. The latter
test gives a resonant frequency that is about 10 to 15 percent lower. The
low voltage test when properly done gives a resonant frequency that agrees
with the Wheeler/Medhurst equations to around one percent. You can easily
check this with the on line JHCTES Ver 3.2 program and other similar
programs. I have not had time to check this with the ETesla6 program.

John Couture