Re: SSgap Diagrams

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <marco.denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Terry,

I see you plan to use the IRG4PH50UD IGBT. I used the IRG4PH40UD and
before having it working I filled a bean can with burned IGBTs. And
think that my maximum current (besides spikes) was about 30A!
To avoid you filling a trash can (sensibly bigger than a bean can, at
least here in Finland!) with burned IGBTs I strongly recommend you to
read my paper about problems and solutions with the Thor CCPS located at

http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/papers.html

Second paper from up, chapter "Problems encountered and solutions".
You'll see you have better to use a gate resistor, etc. I suggest also
to read as much as you can about gate drive techniques from available
application notes.

More, I think you would benefit from a simple current limiting system.
What I have been using successfully is just a 2N2222 and a SMD (thick
film, low value) resistor for each IGBT: that allowed me to use just ONE
bean can. See the driver schematics in my paper, which is an UPDATED
version of the schematics available on my web pages.

Regards

--

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769