RE: Conformity Magazine

Original poster: "Mike Doyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mdoyle-at-CHERRYCORP-dot-com>

This is basically a reprint of the article published in Nuts&Volts the
middle of last year. The problem I see with this article is that the author
perpetrates the myth that sparks from a Tesla coil are safe because of the
"skin effect". On page 19 in the "Wrap up" section the author seems to
encourage you to experiment with the "skin effect" by taking sparks to a
held metal object, when in the previous paragraph he states you can increase
the spark length of the coil by connecting the bottom of the secondary to
the primary. In the authors defense he does indicated that this modification
could make the sparks more dangerous and warns in other places to use good
electrical practices and common sense but the overall tone of the article
seems to indicate that it is a safe practice as long as you are careful.
This especially worries me because the articles was in a regulatory
compliance magazine. I deal with these agencies on a daily basis and know
their mindset - it would only take one accident.