RE: Big Saltwater Cap

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Greg, how do you deal with the constant corrosion of
> your conductors
> by the salt water? My copper wires were completely
> covered (oxides?)
> in less than a week. It seemed to reduce output (ESR
> increase?).

I've never used copper wire.  My first ever wine
bottle cap used electrodes of 1/4" threaded brass rod.
 I still have all of that brass rod in my scrap box.
I recently cut up a chunk of it to make RSG
electrodes.  It darkened a little after many months in
brine, but it never developed any crusty corrosion and
I never noticed any drop in performance.

My second and third generation salt water caps used
17AWG bare Aluminum electric fence wire.  It also
darkens a bit with time, but doesn't corrode. A 250'
spool is dirt cheap and will give you a lifetime
supply of swc electrodes.  I got it at ACE Hardware.
For big bottle & jug-size caps, Radio Shack sells
12AWG bare Aluminum wire.

Cheers,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg