RE: Explain 3 Phase

Original poster: "Tuite, Tom by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <TTuite-at-ALLEGROMICRO-dot-com>

BE WARNED!!!! VERY CHEASY GRAPHICS/EXPLANATIONS BELOW!!!! :)

Hmmmmm, mayhap we have a terminology conglict here.  I would call either of
the below 180 degrees out of phase (or inverted):

     |---|   |---|   |---|
----------------------
0    |   |   |   |   |   |
  ---|   |---|   |---|   |---				0

							OR
  ---|   |---|   |---|   |---
0    |   |   |   |   |   |
     |---|   |---|   |---|				0

----------------------

This comes from the following, for the sake of simplicity lets look at the
right most signals above.  Here we have one at a constant positive value and
the other at a constant negative value.
Generally we would go to the imaginary plane to really look at this stuff so
lets do that:

				Imaginary axis
				.
				.
				.
		  .................... Real axis
				.
				.
				.

Now if we plot the signals we get;

The top signal yields this:

				Imaginary axis
				.
				.
				.
		.............----------....  Real axis
				.
				.
				.

Where the magnitude is some purely real positive value.

The botom signal yields this:

				Imaginary axis
				.
				.
				.
				.
				.
				.
Where the magnitude is some purely real negative value.

NOW, the angle between these two vectors is 180 degrees.  So we say they are
out of phase by 180 degrees.  Hehe now I thik I have confused myself, but
for better or worse thats what I think of when I hear 180 degrees out of
phase, or am I completely crazy? :)

Tom T.