RE: TC Primary Coil (was My first TC)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Malcolm -

I was referring to comparing a Tesla coil when only the shape is changing
from a spiral primary to a helical coil primary, all other parameters remain
the same. For example using the default coil of the JHCTES Ver 3.2 program
the parameters would be:

  Spiral Coil
  Avg Rad = 7.0   Inner turn = 4.5   Pri/Sec Clear = 1.5
  Width of Turns  = 5.0   c/c spacing = 0.50
  Pri turns = 9.98   Lp = 43.93 uh    Res Freq = 169.80

  Helical Coil
  Avg Rad = 4.5    All turns = 4.5    Pri/Sec Clear = 1.5
  Height turns = 8.1    c/c spacing = 0.50
  Pri turns = 16.24   Lp =43.94 uh     Res Freq = 169.80

Note that the Avg Rad (input) is adjusted to give the same Pri/Sec Clearance
(1.5)(output).
The Width of Turns and Height of Turns (inputs) are adjusted to give the
same c/c spacing (0.50)(output).

I have never heard anyone mention this unique spiral primary to helical coil
primary relationship. When the turns are closer you normally need less turns
not more. You can verify this with the coil configuration. Reduce only the
coil height from 8.1 to 5.0 and the primary reduces from 16.24 to 14.01
turns.

The JHCTES program uses the Wheeler equations for the spiral primary and the
helical coil primary. An interesting problem with the program is to find the
capacitance of the primary capacitor for only one primary turn. Both the
spiral and the helical coil calcs will show the same capacitance with no
other changes. This is an iterative problem for the math minded who would
insist on going  thru the many calculations required. Developing these two
empirical equations must have been a very difficult job for Wheeler.

Playing with a TC program can teach you almost as much about Tesla Coils as
building and testing them but is not as much fun. However, with the program
you can check a lot of TC combinations easily and quickly compared to
building and testing them.

The web site for the on line JHCTES Ver 3.2 program is at
         http://home.att-dot-net/~couturejh/

Don't forget to click "Calculate" after all changes.

John Couture