Re: ballast bobbin...again

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

This would work fairly well.  Very large transformers (1 MVA and up) use
laminations that are of different sizes so that they can approximate a
circular cross section. Transformers where cost is important use square or
rectangular cross sections because it is cheaper (they make those E and I
sections by the millions)

I doubt that the leakage reactance increase from spacing the windings away
from the core would be all that significant, assuming that you don't have
an air gap in the core.  HV isolation transformers are often made with the
HV winding as a separate "donut" that is slipped over the core laminations.