RE: Practical limits

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

I would like to reinforce what Chris said.  I think folks sometimes
assume that simply switching off appliances will protect them.  I
believe that the main damage mechanism is common mode transients on the
hot & neutral lines relative to ground.  Also between power lines and
phone lines and cable TV lines and LAN lines.  Simply breaking only the
mains hot or neutral (!) lines won't help, and unplugging EVERYTHING
(hot, neutral, and GND) is the only way to be sure.  I'm not sure I
would go so far as unplugging the keyboard, mouse, and monitor since
these go nowhere else (assuming monitor AC is also unplugged).  I just
unplug the power strip and the modem cable.  You may get lucky and have
no problems doing nothing.  But is it worth the wrath of a wife?

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" ><chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>They played by our rules. 10 minutes before first-light (setting the
safetys
>and tuning) they turned off and unplugged EVERYTHING except the
coolers.
>This included..
>
>The cash register
>ALL the computers (17 on the floor, 5 in the Pod (the REALLY nice
ones), 2
>in the back, and 2 at the counter for the cash register and the live
>internet video feed).
>Both stereos, both microwaves....everything.
>All the computers had ALL the cables pulled, monitor, keyboard, mouse,
10bT,
.etc...