Re: Quenching Safety Gap?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

> I just put together the power supply for my first coil: three 15/60
> NST's with line filter on one side and NST protection filter, with
> safety gap, on the other.  In trying to adjust the safety gap, I found
> that I could set it wider than the arc would jump, but that if I coaxed
> the arc to jump, such as by momentarily bridging the gap with a metal
> object (on end of insulated pole), the arc would then sustain itself.
> Wouldn't this then be a problem during operation of a coil?  It seems
> that if the safety gap fires, it will not quench.
>
> I also hooked up a jacobs ladder, with a gap narrower than the safety
> gap, and similarly, could force the arc to move from the jacobs ladder
> to the safety gap or back again by bridging either gap momentarily, and
> then the arc would stay there (at the ladder, or at the safety gap).
>
> I don't see how, once the safety gap fires, it will quench.
>
>         Thanks
>         B i l l   V a n y o

Hi Bill ....

the safety gap quenches quite well when you power down the system ;)   its
a safety gap -
designed to circumvent the power to another ground when things get too
wild...  altho in a
coiling situation the safety gap when set properly will turn off when the
voltages are proper
for the normal gap to conduct.

Scot D