Re: C of Earth...

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

>From NRL Plasma Formulary,
Plasma Properties:
http://wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil/nrlformulary/typical_plasma_parameters.pdf
Figure of above: http://wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil/nrlformulary/p41nrl.pdf
Ionospheric Properties
http://wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil/nrlformulary/ionospheric_parameters.pdf

The above shows that the ion density in the ionosphere is around
1E4-1E6/cubic cm, compared to 1E7-1E10 for glow discharge.  The ionization
voltage of the ionosphere is also much less than that in the glow
discharge. High pressure arcs are in the 1E15-1E17 range.

based on this, I'd guess the "conductivity", such as it is, of the
ionosphere is around 1E10 worse than a high pressure arc, which is an OK
conductor, but not great.

however, looking at the AGU chart you linked, it looks like the
conductivity of the ionosphere is comparable to that of the earth (sigmaE
shown, looks like 1E-3 (ohm meter)^-1) Typical ground conducitivities are
something like 5 millisiemens, from what I recall.

Anyway, using that 1E-3 number, a stripe that is, say 100 km long (i.e. 1E5
m), 10 km wide (1E4 m), and 1 km thick (1000 m), would have a resistance of
1E3 ohm meter * 1E5m/(1E4m * 1E3m) = about 10 ohms.