Bombarder transformers

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>

> What exactly are these bombarding transformers used for?

	Bombarding....
	8)>>

> I notice that a lot of neon sign websites sell them but you have to
> have a LOT of neon to use on a transformer like that. So what are
> they used for exactly?

	One step in manufacture of neon (or any gas discharge)
	tube involves pulling a willful arc to 'condition'
	(clean?) the electrodes.  This is done at reduced, but non
	zero air pressure, IIR.  The bombarder transformers are
	designed for this particular job.  (I've a book on neon
	sign tech around somewhere, if pressed...)

	best
	dwp