Re: transformers

Original poster: "howard keiper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <keip-at-pacbell-dot-net>

A bombarder is a large, very capable transformer used in the final
construction stage of a neon sign to heat the tube well beyond normal
operating temperatures...to "age" the tube. The heating drives off the
residual impurities left in the metal end caps of each tube. Neon sign
makers sometimes do use pigs, but it's not uncommon to see a bombarder
designed for the purpose, and they often are designed as open frame
devices...that is, you can immediately see the core and windings. One
controls the voltage and current by means of a choke which is almost
always found as a companion unit to the transformer itself.
hk

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>