RE: transformers

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Paul

A transformer is not wholly a linear device, but you can estimate using the
following simple method. We are assuming that the primary is designed for
120 volt or 240 volt. Apply 120 volt to the high voltage side, and measure
the voltage output V from the low voltage side. If the primary is designed
for 120 volt, the voltage output of the secondary is 14,400 divided by V.
The bombarder output should be between 15,000 volt and 24,000 volt. If this
calculation results in a voltage much less than 15,000 volt, then the
primary was designed for 240 volt. Now apply 240 volt to the high voltage
side, and measure the voltage output V from the low voltage side. Then the
voltage output of the secondary is 57,600 divided by V. If you determine
that the primary voltage is 120 volt, then do NOT apply 240 volt to the
primary, as this will cause an insulation breakdown. For ballasting, apply
the methods used for a pole pig.

Godfrey Loudner