Re: Sphere/Toroid Comparison Chart

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Terry,

On 9 May 01, at 11:54, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> I think the difference in the voltage profiles is more due to how the
> toroid messes with the fields around the top of the secondary instead
> of the shorted turn effect.  The top of secondaries seems to be very
> insensitive to the shorted turn top terminal.  If Paul is listening
> maybe he can explain more and what the effects of a split top terminal
> may be.
>
> Cheers,
>
>  Terry

I agree that appearances suggest that the short has little effect.
That is what is so puzzling given the change in inductance. But how
much of a change in inductance? 20%? I now remember applying the LC
Analyser to measure this and the change in L was far far less than
20%. I remember concluding at the time that it was because of poor
coupling. In fact the change I measured amounted to 2% at most. So
where did the 20% figure come from? I'm going to boldly swallow
yesterday's comments about coupling and state that it disagrees with
what I previously found. However, it should certainly be modelled at
resonance. The thing I never did was to run a coil at power doing
this to see if there was any major change in output, spark appearance
etc.

 Greg Leyh also did the slit cut trick in his 40kW coil and noted the
lack of change.

Regards,
malcolm