Re: Primary coil as autotransformer?

Hi Pete,

Neat experiment!

I hooked up my low-Z amplifier to my small coil primary and input 1VRMS at
50, 100, and 200 kHz into turn 5 and measured the voltages at each turn.
This coil has 13 turns of 1/4 inch copper tubing.  Inner Dia. 6.8 inches.
Pitch 0.4 inches:

Turn	50kHz		100kHz		200kHz
0	0.010806	0.012024	0.010515
1	0.170923	0.171343	0.170347
2	0.359528	0.360721	0.360673
3	0.571709	0.571142	0.570978
4	0.790766	0.789579	0.790747
5	1		1		1
6	1.170923	1.171343	1.171399
7	1.317289	1.318637	1.315457
8	1.448919	1.4499		1.44795
9	1.56778		1.571142	1.567823
10	1.676817	1.680361	1.678233
11	1.777996	1.781563	1.781283
12	1.872299	1.876754	1.878023
13	1.960707	1.966934	1.968454

The graph looks like:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/AutoTrans.gif

It looks like the graph is sort of two semi-straight lines that are bent at
the tap point.  The autotransformer action is very obvious.  The voltmeter
leads were picking up a little voltage too but it did not seems to affect
the results much.  The frequency is not making any difference at all.

Cheers,

	Terry