Re: getting started

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/13/01 11:45:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <
> twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
>
> Hi Dave
>
> First study an algebra and trigonometry based book on the principles of
> electricity and magnetism. This level of knowledge will allow you to
> understand and judge advice. Then search the web where you will find a huge
> amount of information. Matt Behrend's site
> www.home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc is excellent for the beginner. There are
> more advanced sites that will refine your knowledge. Most sites provide
> links to other sites. Always read the safety sections. High voltage is
> dangerous, and your first mistake could be your last. Know what is
> dangerous, and develop a safety procedure that is best for YOU. Build your
> first tesla coil around a neon sign transformer, and experiment extensively.
> Then you can move on to more powerful coils if power becomes your thing. My
> last bit of advice is to ignore ALL advice based upon the useless quarter-
> wave length theory.
>
> Godfrey Loudner

Hi Godfrey, All,
I Believe that I have found the origin of the so-called "quarter-wavelength
myth." It was Nicola Tesla himself. cf Pat. No. 645,576 20 March 1900, lines
287 through 314. I guess nobody's infallible, but I'd be reluctant to ignore
all his advice. :)

Matt D.