Re: PFC caps - recommended type?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/13/01 11:44:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Can anyone tell me if these might work?
> http://users.cnmnetwork-dot-com/~doemalibu/capmallory.jpg
>
> They're Mallory caps, marked 100 MFD 250 VDC  (am I correct in assuming
> MFD means uF, i.e. microfarads?)
>
>    Thanks,
>    Bill Vanyo

Hi Bill,

I'm afraid those caps are the polarized electrolytic type
and are NOT suitable for AC PFC use, as they would
quickly turn into a smoke bomb if hooked to AC.

You want the oval-shaped oil-filled metal can types of
capacitors, like the ones in the back of an A/C unit.
They are always rated by volts AC, not DC. Also, make
sure that they are "motor run" caps and not "motor start"
caps. The motor start caps are usually a black plastic
cylinder and are rated at X uFD to X uFD (example 188
to 235 uFD). A motor run cap is alway rated at only one
capacitance ( 5, 10, 25 uFD, ect). The motor start caps
will also quickly overheat if connected to a constant AC
voltage.

Hope this helps you out.

David Rieben