Motor Shop Resources

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Level5ive-at-aol-dot-com>

I imagine that most of the list members know that electric motor rewind shops
are good resources for materials…but I’m not really sure if you all
realize
really how good of a resource they can be. You would not believe the amount
of insulation material that a motor shop throws away in one day. Take today
for instance.
Today I acquired a lot of good materials that we were just throwing away as
scrap:
I got about $150 worth of 15-mil mica mat, about a rollworth of Kapton tape
($40 a roll),
and a 28” X 28” X 3/16” piece of G10 ($$).
 I’ve also acquired lots of other stuff over time including 2 – 12ft X
6in
diameter G10 tubes ($$$$(my coil forms)).

Now I know that you are thinking that this stuff is easier for me to get
because I work there, but the motor shops that I’ve worked at, have all
willingly gave away scrap materials to anyone that just asks.

So check out your local motor rewind shop ;  it’s worth a try.

Inman