Re: New Lab, Family Coil, 1st Light

Original poster: "Charles Brush by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>

>Gary,
>
>I agree.  Richard Quick Is the only coiler that I know of that built an
>equidrive coil system.  I believe he used two .10 ufd caps.  His system
>worked very well, I have video of it running.  Twelve to fourteen foot arcs
>if I remember correctly.  He liked the set up.  I have not seen evidence of
>increased performance with this system over the single cap design.  The
>equidrive caps only need half the voltage rating but need to be twice the
>capacitance.  You also must remember to discharge the caps after every run as
>the transformer secondary windings will not provide that function as it does
>with a single cap.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Hi Ed,

I have a video of that coil as well, and it really produced some
amazing output.  I believe Richard Quick got the "equidrive"
configuration from Richard Hull and the Tesla Coil Builders of
Richmond.  Hull used it in some of his magnifiers.  TCBOR also
originated the "RQ" gap which Quick later popularized.

Charles Brush