Coil Ideas

Original poster: "Ray Haynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ray.haynes-at-home-dot-com>

My name is Ray and I just wanted to introduce myself since I've graduated
from lurker to poster. I have been trying to keep up with all the posts for
over 3 years now. I built my first coil in high school. Since then became a
real engineer type (high speed analog and digital) and my electronics hobby
became my career. My Tesla coil interests were renewed when I saw Greg
Leyh's coil at burningman in '98. Now I jazzed about getting back into
something I enjoyed as a kid, everything HV.

I plan to build the following coils and welcome any comments:

First one will be a smaller MOT powered coil. This is where I can't leave
well enough alone, I want this coil to be a DC coil with a variable speed
RSG. Why DC? Since it is a lower voltage system it will be easy to rectify
and filter, it will allow me to experiment with tuning ideas more easily,
and I loved the sound of Greg's coil winding up as the speed of the spark
gap increased (though I not sure how this smaller coil will sound).

The second project is a single or dual PT powered coil probably more
traditional in configuration (but who knows). And also I have a couple of
1500W switching supplies who's parts would get me started on the road to a
medium sized solid state coil.

This list has been instrumental in enabling me to renew my lost hobby and I
will be sure to return the favor by posting results of my endeavors here.

Happy Coiling,
Ray Haynes
Antelope (just outside Sacramento), CA
ray.haynes-at-home-dot-com