Re: The Sigma-6 Coil-Magnifier?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 17 May 01, at 18:27, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <flyboxboy-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

> Malcom,
> The secondary will produce steamers as usual. It needs to be shorter
> and possibly fatter to allow for the higher magnetic coupling needed.

Well it can be tall as long as the primary is also taller to match
can't it? There is an infinity of configurations which can get to a
coupling constant of 0.6 isn't there?

> Now, the part that really determines the streamer length is the
> tertiary coil. I belive that the resonant frequency has to be a
> multiple of the secondary's frequency for maximum output. It will
> produce longer streamers due to the extra tertiary coil. I have read
> several articles, none which I can refer to you offhand, that has fact
> to support this. I think one thing they said was that it does not as
> strong magnetic fields to reach the upper part of the secondary.
> (remember, the tertiary is not coupled to the primary. It is attached
> to the secondary via a "transmission" line.)

Which is effectively just a piece of wire at TC frequencies (bearing
the operating wavelength in mind). I am aware of the coupling issue.
Bearing that in mind, it is instructive to measure coupling to the
primary at the bottom and top of the resonator in a conventional 2-
coil system.
    Again I appeal for some direct evidence that a magnifier can
produce longer sparks than a conventional 2-coil for the same power
input together with a reasoned argument as to why. I have seen no
evidence to support this in my own work and I would be delighted to
be shown how to do it.

Malcolm