the finger of God

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Christopher

Now you see why I like x-ray transformers so much. But there is something I
feel you should know about them. Pole pigs are designed to dissipate enough
heat so that they can be operated continuously. Some x-ray transformers will
consume over 100,000 watts in their x-ray application, and in less than a
second the primaries becomes blazing hot. Their primaries are not designed
to dissipate such heat on a continuous basis. For continuous operation and
to save the primary from destruction, the primary should be ballasted to
consume between 5000 and 10,000 watts. I keep my x-ray transformers at the
5000 watt level.

Godfery Loudner