Re: Question about Primary Inner Diameter

Hi Bill,

At 07:55 PM 5/19/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I just built a new primary for my new (first) coil.  I'll explain why
>below.
>
>Due to the way I constructed it, I couldn't precisely control the inner
>diameter.  Now I have a secondary with 6 5/8" diameter, and the primary
>inner diameter is about  8 1/8" (whereas it was previously 9.5").  Will
>this be work?  I'm using three 15/60's as power, and want to add a
>fourth (if that's relevant).

Sure.  I try to leave 1 inch between the primary and the secondary but your
spacingshould be fine.

>Will it help if I raise the secondary somewhat?  Structurally, what
>works best (easiest) is for the lowest turn of the secondary to be about
>1.25" above the top of the primary.  I could lower it a bit.  I will
>also have a plexiglass sheet over the primary, below the level of the
>bottom turn on the secondary (again, if that's relevant).

I would not worry with it unless you get racing arcs along the secondary
coil.  In that case you may want to rasie it some but I think you are fine
as is.

Cheers,

	Terry