RE: the finger of God

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Christopher

I recently made a Jacob's ladder using two 1/2 inch diameter, 7 foot long
copper plumbing pipes. The power supply is a 125,000V/300MA x-ray
transformer. The top ends of the ladder are three feet apart. Running at
240V/20A, with a welding transformer as a ballast, the arc reaches the top
and breaks high above the ends. I have run for 4 minutes without any sign of
a heat problem. The only reason I quite at 4 minutes is because of the
intense odor of ozone. This ozone is dangerous to people. Go to
http://www.nex-dot-net/kilroy/david to see a 100,000V/3KVA x-ray transformer in
action on a Jacob's ladder. This is a small transformer, and your
transformer will be capable of much more. The owner of that web site has
recently acquired a 140,000V/500MA x-ray transformer that weighs in at 960
lbs. I think he is planning to show it in action at his web site, but first
he has to convert to AC output by removing the diodes from the tank. Most of
the huge commercial Jacob's ladders are powered by x-ray transformers. The
huge commercial units cost many thousands of dollars. A large portion of the
cost comes from satisfying safety codes to protect the public when they are
on exhibition. Go ahead an build yourself a huge ladder.

Godfrey Loudner