Re: Still mystified by odd TC behavior, what gives?

Original poster: "albert hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Jonathan.  I too have had Tesla coils give outstanding spark gap
output with little or no secondary output. All I know is that if the
capacitance that you have is not properly tuned to the primary coil then
you will get lots of spark gap action, but no output at the secondary.
Sounds as if your coil will not quite accept the capacitor that you have
now.  Maybe you could supplement it with a few beer bottle caps just to
see if you can get some output at the secondary.  Your existing cap must
be functioning because if it had fried then you would not get any arc at
all from the spark gap.  Yes, your big cap could be borderline and
possibly causing your problems, but I feel that your tank is lacking just
a wee bit in total capacitance in relationship to all the other
components of your coil.  It is also possible that this cap may be
working ok but is just too large for your coil parameters.  Again, try to
series or parallel some bottle caps just to see if you can get this coil
to spark.   This will at least give you a starting point for improvement.
 Al.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.