just a strange idea

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi

I just acquired a new AC drive for my lathe. That means I can get rid of the
single phase motor I have had hung under it for a couple of years and
reinstall the original 3 phase motor that it came with. I got a very good
deal. But I cant help thinking (yes I know, to think is to enter the
_DANGER_ZONE_).

I think about John Freau's efficiency experiments. I wonder if 50Hz/60Hz is
the do all end all. I wonder if it is just a matter of matching the freq. to
the end user, AKA the coil. What if one had a power source that would
prod8uce 180Hz? Would the efficiency still be related to the power supply?
Ideas?

later

deano