Re: Sync RSG instability

In a message dated 5/24/01 10:31:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.
> Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
>  I'm slowly working on getting my sync RSG ready.
>  BUT, when I advance my RSG timing to fire any later than slightly after
>  the peak charging voltage, the gap stops firing, the charging voltage
>  waveform changes to a full 35KV (!!!!) sinusoid, and the phase of the
>  waveform shifts by 90 degrees, such that the zero-crossings are now
>  occurring at the gap presentations, which is why the gap doesn't fire.
>  If I retard the timing, it will again resume normal firings.
>
>  Has anyone
>  else seen this behavior?
>
>  Gary Lau
>  MA, USA

Gary,

I've seen that behaviour, and I remember John Morawa saw it too.
It may have been discussed on the list, it seems that at some
point as the phase is changed, the NST goes into a new mode,
due to the way energy is stored in the NST.  I'm always careful
to set my sync gap phase, a little distance away from this spot.

John Freau