Capacitor Dielectric

Original poster: "shimonek2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <shimonek2-at-home-dot-com>

I am just getting started on my first tesla coil.  I have located a 15 KV / 30
mA NST and have begun work on building my capacitor.  (couldn't find enough
cheap caps for a MMC)  I am using 19 Al plates 6" x 8" separated by a distance
of 1/2" submersed in oil.  According to my calculation using a K of 2.2 for
mineral oil that will give me a .0055 uF capacitor.  This seems like a very
simple and easy to construct design, have others tried it?  By mineral oil are
the charts referring to motor oil?  Can I use motor oil?  I even considered
adding a quart of Slick 50 for the added PTFE.  Any thoughts?